Monday, April 16, 2012

Boston

If you're a runner, you know what I'm talking about. If you watch ESPN or pay attention to sports, you probably know what I'm talking about. If you live in Boston, you probably know what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is BOSTON. It is one of few races that has succeeded in needing no introduction. It is the Madonna of Marathons.

 I don't have to tell you I'm talking about Boston Marathon put on by the Boston Athletic Association that is the only race, which I'm aware of, to take place on a Monday. And not just any Monday, it's Patriot's Day, which is the third Monday of April. I also don't have to tell you this is the world's oldest marathon with some of the most major milestones, please see, first women to officially/unofficially run a marathon. Bobbi Gibb and Kathrine Switzer were there names and they changed the course of history for me and all my gal pal runners. I can't imagine a time where I wasn't lining up toe to toe with the guys. Bobbi unofficially ran the race in 1966 in 3:21 and Kathrine officially in 1967 in 4:20. These two ladies dared to break the gender mold we had previously been conformed to. I don't think it takes much to see why these two gals are some of my running heroes.

In order to run at Boston, you need to qualify. I know, seems crazy but that's how it is. You need to meet a predetermined time in order to even be considered for the race. Qualifying for Boston has always been in the back of my head. But I have to run fast, faster than I have ever run before. I have to run my 10k pace for 26.2 miles. I would have to cut 38 minutes off of my last marathon time of 4:13 I would have to go from 9:38's to 8's. Straight 8's. I feel like it's impossible but I know it isn’t. I know it's not going to happen this year but, maybe, just maybe, it'll happen next year. Or the year after. It's a goal I'm never going to give up on which is fun, it gives me something to shoot for instead of just running another race, another long run, another speed workout.

It'll happen some day, I'm sure of it, and when it does, I'll rejoice in the fact that I trained my hardest and ran my hardest and to me, it'll be a victory even if I don't win the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment