Monday, January 23, 2012

I'm a #runner and I'm a better athlete than you


At first I was going to write this as a satire but then some truth started to seep in and it wasn’t as funny.

1. We're friendly. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for a runner and I feel like it's vice versa. Case in point... I took a family trip to Montana several years ago and while staying in Bozeman, wanted to run in Helena for Governor’s cup. Wrote to the local Bozeman running group to see if I could hitch a ride with someone. Boom, done. David Nix, wherever you are these days. Thank you so much for the ride to one of the most beautiful races I've ever run. A stranger picked me up and let me ride with him an hour and a half to a race. You think Ndamukonh Suh would ever do that for a competitor?

2. We’re tough. I’m not talking about lifting weights tough (though, I know some runners who are stronger than you think). I’m talking about getting outside when it’s cold, or when it’s dark, or when it’s cold, dark, and rainy. We get our butts up early, stay up late and the majority of us are at the mercy of the weather. Wanna know why? It’s a blessing to be out there every single day. I love it. Basketball players? Can’t hold a candle to us. Baseball players? Get bilateral leg weakness and pulled muscles from the cold.
3. We’re focused/good time management. The truth? Everyone can run a marathon. I say that ALL the time and people don’t believe me. Welp, ya should. Want to know why only 1% of the population does it? It’s hard. A lot of people don’t have the dedication to train for 4 months to get out and run 26.2 miles. I realize some people don’t have time. But then I say, what about the people who don’t have the time and still make it work? I’m just saying, we figure it out.  
4. We’re more aware. I feel like I am anyway. I’m always aware of people on the road, whether they’re walking their dog or running. I can always tell when it is a fellow runner/walker driving by when I’m running, they move as far over as possible.
5. There are, very rarely, fouls in our game. We don’t need to. We don’t need to come over your back or slash you because we’re just going to kick your ass on the next hill instead.

The list goes on and on but, my run today got me thinking when I got sprayed but a car driving too close and saw a HOCKEY sticker on the back.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment