Friday, January 13, 2012

If I were homeless

Right now I'm sitting in work meetings and I'm so bored but I know it has nothing to do with how boring I am.

I'm totally letting my mind wander. It doesn't help that I'm also starving and the lb of seafood I ate last night has made me bloated like a puffer fish.

What's it like to be homeless? As I was running along the boardwalk yesterday I saw a ton of homeless people. I'm not talking about like, 3, I'm talking about like 30. I only went 4 miles but every time I turned my head, there was another one. when I first saw them my mind (obviously) went to running. 'If I were homeless...' I'd sleep all day and then run at night when the city was all mine. Quiet and dark. No traffic, no people. Mine.

But then I saw one guy was digging in the garbage, eating old French fries. Another lady was bathing from a water fountain using newspaper.

How do you run if you don't have food to eat? You don't have pre- or post- run energy. And, gasp, running aside, how do you have energy to live?!

All of a sudden all of the mystique of running through the streets at night is lost and reality hits.

So now you're wondering, why don't you help? I'm glad you asked. I go through my closet monthly for things to donate. I regularly donate my time to local organizations like Salvation Army's Harbor Lights, and donate dollars when I can.

I just do my best to try and be a good person. Reflecting back, I'm reminded of a quote I recently saw;

Nobody makes a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do little -Edmund Burke

So next time you're thinking of doing something but don't because you might be embarrassed by your amount of 'something' do it anyway. Smile, pray, give.

















No comments:

Post a Comment