Monday, February 6, 2012

Gonna go shred some pow with Shaun White

Or so they say. I don't know, maybe that's not accurate, I really haven't been too closely involved in the whole ski/snowboard community recently. Well, that's a lie, I haven't been too closely involved ever,would be more accurate. HOWEVER, I do sometimes get mistaken for Shaun White. Which is both awkward (because I'm a girl) and flattering because if I had to be any professional athlete, I'd be him. He's pretty much awesome at everything he does. And now he has his own gum line. I mean, come on, gum? Who doesn't love gum?!

Anyway, for real we're going to Keystone this week with some friends and I can't wait! I've been taking lessons and finally feel confident enough to probably make it down a hill without, literally, killing myself. I don't want to jinx myself but I'm not ruling out a broken leg or a knee injury. Hubby and I went once, in MN, two years ago so I thought it might be a good idea to have a professional instruct me on starting, stopping, turning, did I mention stopping? The last, and by last I mean only, time I went I was going down a black diamond run (FYI, MN black diamond is apparently a CO Green...) and got a little too cocky and started going too fast and freaked out so I sat down on my booty. Interesting thing about this is that your backside won't slow you down, then you will just be going fast on your butt, with even less control than if you were on your skis. Hence, my need for a lesson.

My first lesson started out on the bunny hill, well, unless there is something smaller than the bunny hill. All I know is that there were tiny little kids on the hill with me. After a couple runs and my ability to demonstrate I could balance on skis, we got to go down a bigger hill. First goal was to define the exact moment "WEEEEE!!!!" turns to "AAAAAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!" For me, that moment didn't take too long to arrive and we spent the next half an hour traversing the hill in a large S pattern that taught me to edge and didn't allow me to pick up too much speed. Perfect. The next half hour was spent holding Tom's (my ski instructor) fingers and following him down the hill while pressing on my smiley faces. Oh that sounds dirty but this will clean it right up, Tom put smiley face stickers on the inside tongues of my ski boots. Just like he does with the 4 yr olds. He said it's not because I'm as smart as one but because I look young. And I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, Hubby and I went out for a couple hours last Sunday and I took another lesson this week and Tom promised I was ready for Colorado. As a runner I know I'm physically fit but skiing is a good reminder that cross-training is my friend and should be utilized to keep my whole body healthy.

Anyone have any favorite EASY runs they like in Keystone/Breck/Vail?

See, I'm totally the girl Shaun White
PS- Shaun White, I'll be there this weekend. Hit me up.















1 comment:

  1. Shoot, that's beautiful. You might try a squatting position and move your knees side to side in prep. or for more excitement, go side to side then jump up and land back in a squat. do that for a few minutes each day and you will shred right out the gate. The true grace and beauty of skiing comes when you hit the groove and you allow yourself to load the ski, meaning bend it, and it as it pops straight to use that momentum to change direction so that instead of a lazy S you make a sawtooth.

    ReplyDelete