Saturday, March 3, 2012

Did You Say Steak? Wannabe Critic



My number one most very favorite place to eat in the entire world is Murray's Steakhouse. It's not usually #1 in the ratings but it will always be #1 in my heart. Whether I'm overseas or down the street, each bite of steak that enters my mouth is compared to the deliciousness that is a Murray's steak. It's where we go to celebrate, for date night, and any night in between.
This past week was Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine's (FAB MAG, get it now) Restaurant Week. Husb and I are pretty dedicated to eating so thought we'd check it out. We were ecstatic that Murray's was on the list! We made reservations, knowing it would fill up fast, and have been talking about it since. As we walked down the sidewalk the neon glow of their sign was like a beacon, summoning us home.

We walked in and the proprietor was there, as he is every evening, to greet his guests. You walk in past a wall of celebrities who have also made stops to Murrays along their journey, on the right is a small bar where bartenders and wait staff are dressed in vests mixing up old time drinks and serving bottles of wine.

As you walk into the dining room, you're transported back to the days of an old supper club. There is a low din of platters clanking, tables being changed over, servers serving their famous silver butter knife steak, and voices.

Low voices, celebrating promotions, anniversaries, birthdays, new houses, life.

The lights are dim and fabrics muted creating a welcoming atmosphere where you and your colors are the livelihood of the restaurant. They don't need fancy finials and carpet, they have their customers, and their stories, to adorn the restaurant.

Garlic toast. They make this wonderful tiny, salty, buttery deliciousness that is butter toast. I've tried to emulate it at home to no avail. I can't get enough. I feel like each time I enter Murray's, I'm ravenous. I know the feast that awaits me and my palate craves it. From the moment I mention it until completion.

We always get the same thing, the dinner steak. It's the cheapest steak on the menu but the flavor of this steak of meaty, buttery, savory, steak. I can't describe the way each bite bursts with flavor, you chew, and chew, trying to get each morsel of flavor to explode in your mouth. Paired with their homemade Au Gratins you have a meal fit for a king.

Since it was restaurant week, I tried something new, I had the 12oz Rib eye and it was, Ah-Maze-ing. I was questioning my choice as it was delivered to the table. It looked huge and like a lot of work with not a lot of reward. I couldn’t have been more wrong. The first bite, the marbling, the cut, the perfection of my medium+ steak gave me goose bumps. This, friends, is what God intended when he created the cow.

For dessert I received a fresh, warm brownie topped with what she described as vanilla bean custard. I would call it heaven. It was the same vanilla custard they use in their homemade Crème brûlée(TO DIE FOR). The decadent rich chocolate flavor was perfectly balanced with the light texture and flavor of the custard.

Murray's isn't just a restaurant, it's an experience. While I encourage you to eat here whether you have 40 minutes or 4 hours, please take enough time to savor the sights, the sounds, the people, the food, and the tastes.
I didn't know good meat until I knew Murray's.

My favorite building in all of downtown.
At night the top glows like
burning embers in a camp fire.
The bar.

View of the dining room.




My delicious rib eye

Dessert!
Garlic toast. NOM.


Dinner steak.
And PS, since I feel like this is a different side of me than you're used to, I will give you a little anecdote about steak. You've seen pictures, you know what I look like. I constantly tell my husband I think I could eat the Ol 96'er. The owner of Murray's said he would make me a shirt if I could eat half of that. Challenge accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment