Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Virtual Insanity

I've found the most amazing thing, virtual races. It's virtual insanity!

I first read about them spring 2012 when I ran a world running day 5k but just recently found them again in December. It was a charity race I found on NYC Running Mommas blog, I thought, what the heck! I'm 9 mos, 3 weeks pg and I get to say I ran a 5k!

Since peanut is only 3 mos I'm still trying to figure out a schedule so weekend AM races aren't really in the cards yet. But you know what is? Virtual races!!!! I love the Internet, I love running, and I love medals! Virtual races are my favorite because I can do them while the baby is napping or playing with me in the gym, I can do them while daddy is holding her upstairs or I can do them pushing the stroller. I can do them at 5am or 10pm, the virtual running world is my oyster!

The latest virtual race I've signed up for is actually a series called 'Get out and Run' put on by US Road Running. For $13.99 ($19.99 if you want a tech shirt) you sign up for a 5/10k or a half and then complete it within the month you sign up. After you complete it you post your results on a message board. Since runners are notoriously moral, honest, good people, your results are by runners honor. Why lie? You're not competing with anyone so the only person you're lying to is yourself and that feels ishy. Did I mention you get a medal? I love swag and this monthly series comes with a personalized medal! I ran a 49 minute 10k for March and I can't wait to get my first medal. Maybe a half for April?!

I also just completed a 5k called The Virtual Bacon Challenge, an awesome group of online running friends who love bacon and running!

And last, but not least, I signed up for the Digital Running 'interstate challenge'. I need to run either a half or a full in two states to earn a medal. Swag!

So, there it is, with a three month old baby (who just rolled over for the first time today!) I'm already out racing again and it feels amazing! I love running.




US Road Running Virtual 10k

Virtual Bacon 5k


NYC Running Mama virtual 5k fundraiser (3 days before baby!)


I'm just about to roll over for mommy!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkIs37a2JE

No comments:

Post a Comment